Friday, January 20, 2012
How to Cook Nilagang Baboy (Boiled Pork with Vegetables)
Posted by Admin at 8:13 PM
1 lb. pork (choices of belly, hocks, neck or any bony parts of pork), cut into serving pieces
5-6 cups water
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, quartered
2 green onions (scallions), sliced into 1” long
1/4 tsp. peppercorn
salt to taste
2 eddoes- also known as taro or gabi, quartered (optional)
2 potatoes, quartered
1 can pork and beans
pechay (bok choy) or cabbage leaves
Cooking Procedures :
1. Place pork in a big pot and let it covered with water. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer until pork is tender for about an hour.
2. Remove all the resulting scum that will rise to the top of the pot.
3. Add crushed garlic, sliced onions, scallions, peppercorn and season with salt.
4. Add quartered eddoes (if using) and potatoes. Cook until tender.
5. Add the pork and beans. Simmer for 5 minutes. Correct the seasoning.
6. Add pechay or cabbage leaves. Do not overcook the green vegetables.
7. Remove from heat. Serve hot.